Pages

Friday, July 27, 2012

It's not forever.

Me: Gonza, this is the last time that I'm going to see you.
Gonzalo: No, you'll see me next summer.
Me: That's a long time away.
Gonzalo:  It's not forever.


Alvaro: What do you not like to eat?
Me: Fish.
Alvaro: Well tomorrow I'm going to bring you some and you're going to eat it.
Me: Tomorrow is Saturday.
Alvaro: The next day.
Me: Alvaro, camp is over.
Alvaro: In September.
Me: I won't be here.
Alvaro: October then.
Me: Alvaro, I won't be here.  I have to go back to the states.  The earliest I can be back is next summer.
*After this Alvaro's face fell and he went silent.  He wouldn't talk to me or look at me for several minutes.*

Goodbyes are so hard.  Somehow I manage to block the pain of the last goodbye out of my mind, and because of this, each new goodbye catches me off guard.  Saying goodbye to two seven year olds this morning was heart wrenching.  They've been a fantastic source of joy and love for the past few weeks.  I'm very grateful for the time that I got to spend with them and look forward to seeing more of them in the future.

To leave off on an optimistic note: I'm heading out for Barcelona in less than 48 hours! I'm going to spend a few days up there sightseeing and making new friends. :)

I'm looking forward to seeing you all soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment